One of my favourite desserts is a Pavlova, and my Mum makes a pretty awesome one. Last year we changed up our pavlova style by making a Pavlova wreath for Christmas and I thought I’d share the recipe with you.
Warning: this is very sweet.
6 egg whites, room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
3 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
300ml thickened cream
Red or pink food dye
Fresh berries (or preferred fruit)
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with some non-stick baking paper. Draw a 20cm circle on the paper, place on the tray, circle side down.
2. Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking for 1 minute after each addition. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 minutes.
3. Combine cornflour, vinegar and vanilla essence. Add to meringue and whisk until just combined.
4. (Optional Step) Add red/pink food dye and gently fold into the meringue mixture.
5. Use a spatula to drop sections of meringue into a wreath shape. Reduce the oven temperature to 120°C. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes – the pavlova should be dry to the touch. Turn off the oven and leave to cool completely.
6. Whip cream until thick. Spoon onto pavlova and decorate with fresh fruit of your choice. Cut into sections to serve.